Monday, December 1, 2014

Grayscale

People seem to often think in black and white. No, this isn’t some racist thing… I’m talking “yes” and “no” here, “right” and “wrong”.

There are enemies on both sides of practically every argument. Take the political structure of America for example: party members love to attack the other party, but both sides are right and wrong in their own areas. A 100% Republican country may sound absolutely terrible, but so does a 100% Democratic country. Both parties have done great things for our nation, and likewise they have both done great wrongs.

Nothing is ever simple when humans are involved. Human emotion coats our attempted logic with an immeasurable amount of variables, making nothing certain. Good people do terrible things at times; nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes.

I consider myself Independent politically because I cannot justify identifying as either a Republican or a Democrat; I see enemies on both sides. Voting for president isn’t choosing the candidate that’s right to run our country, it is choosing the lesser of two evils. My Republican family got very upset when I voted for Obama in 2012; I didn’t vote for him because of his political party, I voted for him because I sure as hell did not want Romney in office. If you don’t agree with my views, that’s perfectly fine… every single person on this planet is different, and no two people believe exactly the same things.

Often, I find, there is more than one answer to a question of morality… or perhaps it is a lack of an answer altogether. I believe that abortion is wrong but I also believe a woman has the right to have one if it is important to her that she does so. I believe that anyone and everyone should be able to marry whoever the hell they want as far as gender identities go, but I also believe that a sixteen-year-old dating a nineteen-year-old is a lot better than a twenty-year-old dating a seventy-year-old. Don’t agree with me? That’s fine, I’m never going to run for president or Congress so you have nothing to worry about.

I believe that everyone is equal regardless of biological sex or gender identity, and yet I also know you cannot treat everyone equally; my ex-girlfriend, for example, is someone you should avoid certain topics of discussion with. That doesn’t make her any less human, it makes her unique: she taught me that we all have scars, whether they are visible to the world or not, and you can never assume anything about anyone unless that someone is yourself. (It is worth pointing out, though, that I favor women to men for my friendships and pretty much every other kind of relationship possible; not that women are superior, but that men are often inferior… if that makes any sense whatsoever)

I believe everyone has a right to an opinion. I also believe that everyone has a right to share that opinion verbally or in writing, given it isn’t oppressive toward a person or group of people. Some opinions may be best isolated in your mind or with your close, trusted friends and family, but you still have a right to that opinion so long as you do not cause anyone any danger by acting out your opinion.

Are you still reading? Have you read this whole thing? That was the point of typing this all out. No responses needed, I only wrote it so it could be read. If you would like to, I encourage you to write something like this regarding your own opinions — again, so long as it won’t restrict the rights of a person or group of people — and share it with your followers as well.

I am nobody special to this world, my voice will likely disappear upon my death. Sadly, this is true for most of us. So make a difference while you live, work to make the world a better place; not what’s best for you, but what’s best for humanity. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment